Monday, July 9, 2007

An Essential Discovery

The Geographic Information System can be used as a betterment to a community if placed in the right hands. It makes it easier for someone, especially like me who can't draw, to map out their community and what they want their community to be like without using a writing utensil. When I was introduced to the GIS System I thought wow it's a picture of a map (sarcasm duh)! It wasn't eye grasping and didn't catch my attention at all. However, as we began into the process of creating and finishing the map it turned out to be more than I expected.
On the week of July 2-6, Mr. Andrew, Patience, and Mr. Santo introduced me to the Geographic Information System. We started out by opening a plain map and adding layers to it. Then once we had all the necessary layers, we began to apply each layer to the map bringing the map to life. Afterwards I received a visual trend of park locations, parcels, railroads, plates, faults, volcanoes, earthquakes, major cities, etc. That is when it hit me. "I can use the GIS System when I prepare to initialize the redesign of Las Granges Park (Davis Park).

No comments: