Monday, July 9, 2007

Mapping

This week we learned a new and very interesting technique. We were introduced to GIS. I know someone is wondering, "what's that?" Well, it stands for Geographic Informatioin System. When I was first introduced to the program I was astonished by how much information the system had to offer. We explored the entire world from one map. With this program we saw all the MLG&W streets in Memphis. It was absolutely amazing. I actually located my house on a map of the entire world. When i located my home, it showed me the owners of it and the year it was built.

Can you believe that I found out how many cell phones there are in the United States?!!! We have over 3 MILLION!!!!! That is AMAZING! The program showed us every tree in the world, every light, every home, every street, every train track, EVERYTHING!! OMG! It was such an awesome experience!! I have to say that this was the most interesting thing that I experienced since I've been apart of the YNMI(Youth Neighborhood Mapping Initiative).

No comments: